(PRP) Platelet Rich Plasma Face Lift and Facial
The PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Face lift, is a non-surgical procedure where a licensed clinician injects the PRP substance, which includes parts of the patient’s own blood, into various areas of the patient’s face in order to treat wrinkles, acne scars, and give the patient a younger rejuvenated appearance.
For the PRP Facial we also use the Eclipse MicroPen, a fractioning micro needling device. The pen consists of 9 micro needles that pulse up & down as the clinician glides it over the patient’s face. It punctures the skin and pushes the PRP substance into the “dermis” (the dense inner layer of skin beneath the “epidermis”).
The Science Behind PRP
Stem cells can be found in every part of the body, including our skin. The PRP substance activates the stem cells that lie dormant in the skin on the face through certain growth factors found in the platelets. When activated, those stem cells grow new, younger-looking skin. Thanks to the PRP, you can now enjoy a younger looking appearance through a very safe and effective procedure.
The Platelet Rich Plasma Procedure
Benefits of the Platelet Rich Plasma Facial
Many patients report that their face looked refreshed, their fine lines and wrinkles diminished, they had no visible bruising at the injections sites with very minimal discomfort, and their results were almost instant.
- Younger looking color to your skin because of the new blood vessel formation.
- The outer most layer of your skin or “epidermis” will appear smoother.
- The procedure stimulates new collagen production over time in the “dermis”. This will lift the face to a more youthful, firmer shape.
- Quick procedure lasting an hour to 90 minutes.
FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions
How is the healing and recovery?
Since the PRP with the Skinpen is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that involves only injections and microneedling, recovery time is minimal. You will not have any scars because we do not make any incisions; we only use needles. Also, since the substance used in the procedure derives from the patient’s own blood, there is very little risk of allergic reaction or abnormal response. The patient can return home right after the procedure. You may experience redness, which should go away after a few hours.
Potential Side Effects
Potential side effects can be temporary bruising which can be caused by the reaction of the patient’s skin to the injections, mild swelling or edema, skin irritation or itching depending on the sensitivity of the patient’s skin, but these should all resolve within a few days.
How long do the results last and how many treatments are needed?
After a patient undergoes a PRP facial, the results will usually last between 9-18 months. For best results, patients will revisit their licensed clinician for a reinforcement injection and or facial every 9-12 months.
Am I a Candidate?
The PRP facial is ideal for everyone. It’s the perfect treatment for patients wanting to rejuvenate the face without surgery. It is also ideal for elderly patients as incisions made by the more traditional facelift surgeries can take a lot more time to heal and can include further complications related to surgery.
Is it FDA approved?
The medical devices used during the PRP facial procedure, the centrifuge and the Eclipse MicroPen, are FDA approved and regulated. It is important to remember, that the FDA does NOT regulate surgical or medical procedures, instead it regulates the equipment being used in those procedures.
What is it about the Platelets?
Platelets are essential for normal hemostasis (control of bleeding and clot formation, the first phase of wound healing). Too few platelets mean risk of uncontrolled bleeding and prolonged healing to any minor injury. Too many in your overall circulatory system, means increased risk of blood clot formation and with this also an increased risk of blood clot causing stroke.
In PRP therapy, we are not so much interested in the platelets function themselves, but their contents. Within the alpha granule portion of each platelet, lies its ability to enhance tissue repair and regeneration. By stimulating a process called degranulation, we can liberate the contents of these alpha granules and benefit from their rich components. These components include healing proteins, cytokines (cell messengers important for immune function) and growth factors. The release of these proteins and growth factors work to initiate processes to repair DNA, promote stem cell proliferation and their differentiation, resulting in advanced tissue repair and regeneration responses.
Benefits to skin
By injecting these activated platelets under skin, we can achieve an accelerated skin rejuvenation which would have never been possible under normal circumstances. By using PRP, we can push skin into enhanced repair mode and stimulate renovation of the skin where it needs it the most. PRP works to activate the immune system to remove damaged cells and stimulates more collagen and elastin, ultimately creating thicker, firmer and healthier tissue. It can also help improve microcirculation of the skin, repairing damaged blood vessels and assuring the skin better nutrition, oxygenation and toxin removal.
In general, the skin will visibly appear fuller and more youthful. You will be able to appreciate a softening of wrinkling, folds or scarring. Skin will improve in terms of overall color, tone, pore size, texture and you may even appreciate a subtle lifting effect.
Results will vary, depending on your age, overall health, extent of skin damage you have present, your nutrition and lifestyle factors (smoking and alcohol consumption). The more damaged your skin is, the more sessions that you may require to see full benefits. As with most treatments, if you are a heavy smokers, abuse alcohol or drugs you may see little benefit from PRP. Also if you have a chronic illnesses requiring you to take many medications, PRP might not be an appropriate option. If you are interested in PRP and its benefits, call Estetica today for your free evaluation, 636-265-0377.
Some advantages of PRP in comparison to other treatments?
- Use of platelets native to one’s own blood means the treatment is non-toxic, hypoallergenic and with extremely low incidence of side effects
- Even when used alone adds natural fullness to face without necessity of more aggressive fillers or aesthetic treatments
- Well established studies in the area of sports medicine prove the benefits of PRP to healing and its ability to reduce need for surgical intervention.
- Can be used to rejuvenate harder to treat and delicate areas such as skin around eyes, neck, chest and hands
- Can be used to rejuvenate several problematic areas in one session.
- Tolerability of procedure means little dependence on topical anesthesia.
- Simple and quick treatment, usually an hour-long office visit is sufficient for entire preparation and procedure.
- PRP can offer additional benefits in other areas of body, including use in scalp treatment to stimulate healthy hair growth.
- Cost friendly procedure. Session prices range from $300-$500 dollars per area.
- It is also frequently being used to improve out comes of other aesthetic procedures such as chemical peels, lasers and radiofrequency treatments and even pre-surgery to assure optimal healing.